Embracing advanced business technologies ensures a competitive edge. One set of tools that lets you do this and more is cloud technology solutions. And with a market “expected to be worth around USD 2,321 billion by 2032” (along with a host of features that result in streamlined processes), the cloud can help prevent organizations from falling behind.
This guide will explain the fundamentals of the cloud and its impact on a company’s information technology (IT) environment. No matter your business’s nature, this guide will help you effectively harness the power of cloud technology solutions for 2023.
What is the cloud in simple terms?
In simple terms, the cloud relates to remote servers that users can leverage to host, process, and maintain their data. These services are accessed through any device that sustains an Internet connection. This means that the cloud lets you and your team utilize your data from anywhere, as long as you have the Internet.
What are the 4 cloud models?
There are four different cloud models that businesses can choose from.
- Public cloud: Services that are provided by third-party vendors using the Internet. Public clouds are readily available for use and are typically offered through cost-effective pricing schemes to ensure that users do not overspend on anything. Examples of public cloud platform providers include Microsoft Azure and Amazon Web Services (AWS).
- Private cloud: A cloud infrastructure that is dedicated to a single organization. Offering high levels of security and governance, private clouds are kept in colocation facilities, privately held data centers, or can also be self-hosted. They can also be obtained with the assistance of private cloud providers.
- Hybrid cloud: An amalgamation of private and public cloud technology solutions that let businesses use the features and capabilities of both types of clouds.
- Multi-cloud: When an organization uses multiple cloud providers at once, allowing them to take advantage of the unique features and capabilities of each provider while eliminating vendor lock-in.
What are the 3 cloud services?
Cloud computing services come in three forms. These business IT solutions can help you maximize the potential of your digital resources, ultimately streamlining collaboration, communication, and operational processes.
- Infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS): IaaS supplies organizations with infrastructure over the Internet. This can include resources for networking and storage. IaaS allows businesses to scale their infrastructure up or down as needed, without having to invest in additional hardware.
- Platform-as-a-service (PaaS): PaaS offers companies a platform for creating, testing, and launching applications. PaaS makes it easier for you to focus on enriching your information systems with relevant applications.
- Software-as-a-service (SaaS): SaaS provides businesses with Internet-accessible software applications. Users can easily enable SaaS solutions within their business technologies, without having to manage any backend hardware or software. An example of a SaaS solution is Microsoft 365.
How can the cloud benefit businesses?
Cloud technology solutions (such as applications) are designed to integrate with a company’s established IT environment, making their features dynamic and intuitive.
There are several key advantages to using a cloud-enabled IT environment. These benefits include:
- Lower costs: Users pay for cloud-based business IT solutions by following subscriptions. This means you only pay for the resources and services that you actually need and use.
- Better scalability: Business technologies that use the cloud are inherently scalable. This means that you can reconfigure your cloud technology systems quickly and keep your IT environment in line with your needs.
- Increased productivity: Since cloud technology solutions can be accessed anywhere with the Internet, you and your staff can stay connected and take full advantage of in-house, hybrid, and remote working arrangements.
- Enhanced security: Cloud-enabled business IT solutions can help organizations secure their assets with advanced security features, such as encryption and intrusion detection solutions.
How to choose the right cloud business technologies
Choosing cloud-based business IT solutions can be a daunting task, but there are several key considerations that can make it easier for you.
- Your business needs: Consider your goals and requirements (both for your IT infrastructure and overall company). Your cloud tools should connect your operations to those objectives and grow with them over time.
- Costs: Like with any business technology, you should only procure solutions that satisfy your budget. You should also look into ongoing costs to make sure your cloud investments do not negatively impact your funds.
- Specific security solutions: Cloud solutions can be targeted by malware and other threats. Look into the security measures that the cloud solution contains. You should choose the solution that you know how to secure as security ultimately falls on you—not the vendor.
Upgrade your IT environment with the cloud for 2023 and the future
With increasing customer demands and the need for data-driven processes, businesses in 2023 and beyond will need a cloud environment to sharpen their competitive edge.
The cloud professionals at ION247 can serve as your premier partner for cloud procurement and support. Experts in Azure, Google Cloud, and more, contact them today to enhance your organization’s performance with the cloud.